A History of American Gold Star Mothers and Blue Star Mothers of America
American Gold Star Mothers
American Gold Star Mothers was initially established in 1917 by Grace Darling Seibold, the mother of George Vaughn Seibold, a WWI aviator who lost his life during the war.
The organization was named after the Gold Star that families hung in their windows in honor of the deceased veteran. After years of planning, June 4, 1928, twenty-five mothers met in Washington, DC to establish the national organization, American Gold Star Mothers, Inc.
The success of the organization continues because of the bond of mutual love, sympathy, and support of the many loyal, capable, and patriotic mothers who while sharing their grief and their pride, have channeled their time, efforts and gifts to lessening the pain of others. On May 28, 1918, President Wilson approved a suggestion made by the Women’s Committee of the Council of National Defenses for the Gold Star Mothers Service Flag to be displayed in homes, places of business, churches, schools, etc., to indicate the number of members of the family or organizations who are serving in the Armed Forces who have died from such service.
Blue Star Mothers of America
On January 22, 1942 the Flint News Advertiser printed a coupon asking Mothers of serviceman to return the coupon after filling it out. The following February 1st 300 mothers met in the Durant Hotel, in Flint Michigan. Captain George H. Maines, who had conceived the idea for this group, acted as the chair of this first meeting. It was decided that after receiving 1000 responses from the ad to form a permanent organization. On February 6th the organization was reported on Congressional record. Chapters then formed in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Iowa and Washington. Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II. They worked in hospitals, train stations, packed care packages for soldiers and were an working part of homeland security during times our time of war. In 1960 Congress chartered the Blue Star Mothers of America as a Veterans Service Organization and in 1966, the Department of Defense revised the specifications for design, manufacture and display of the Service flag.